- ASEAN: Association of Southeast Asian Nations created in 1967.
- Geo-political and economic organisation of 10 countries: the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam.
- 3rd largest trading bloc in the worldafter the European Union and the North American Trade Union.
- Governments of all ASEAN countries understand the huge significance of investing in infrastructure to reap the envisioned economic benefitsof a more connected region through enhanced trade, investment, tourism and development.
- ASEAN would need about US$60 billion a year till 2022to fulfil its infrastructure needs
- An ASEAN Infrastructure Fund(AIF) was launched in April 2012 with an estimated total lending commitment of up to US$300 million a year. AIF is expected to fund about 6 infrastructure projects each year.
Sources: BUSINESS FRANCE& KPMG
Thailand: a MAJOR player in the ASEAN construction market
- Central location in the region
- Transport and logistic hub
- Regional manufacturing powerhouse
Major construction projects in the country
- Expansion of the sky train Green Line: investment of US$1.78 Billion
- Expansion of the railway network for 2015-2018: investment of US$1.92 Billion
- Approved water-management project: investment of US$1.7 Billion
- Road development between 2012 and 2022: highway apart from Phahon Yothin Road, road link from Mukdahan to the Eastern Seaboard, transport route for Thai entrepreneurs using Laos as a production base, etc.
- and many more…